In the age of the internet, it’s essential for businesses to have an online presence. A particular challenge for small, local dance companies is achieving high rankings on search engine results pages (SERP). Improving SEO means that potential customers can quickly find relevant information about the business and services they offer. This portfolio case describes the work that was done to improve the SEO of a dance company website in McHenry, Illinois, and provides key takeaways for other small businesses to consider.
The dance company is a small business that provides dance classes to children and adults in McHenry, Illinois. The company was founded by a dance instructor who wanted to share her passion for dance with the community. The company had an established website, but it was not ranking high in SERP, and as a result, the company was not getting as much traffic as they wanted.
The first step was to conduct an SEO audit to evaluate the current state of the website and identify areas for improvement. The following steps were taken:
- Keyword Research: A list of relevant keywords was created. Keyword research was conducted using industry-specific terms, and keywords were chosen based on their relevance, search volume, and competition.
- Meta Description and Title: The website’s meta description and title tags were updated to include relevant keywords and to be more descriptive.
- Content Optimization: The website’s content was optimized to include relevant keywords naturally. Keyword stuffing was avoided, and the content was made more engaging and informative.
- Image Optimization: The website’s images were optimized with relevant alt tags to improve accessibility for users with disabilities and to improve the website’s visibility to search engines.
- Citation Building: Citations were built to improve the website’s local SEO. Relevant citations from local business directories were created, and the company’s information was listed with correct and consistent NAP (Name, Address, Phone Number) data.
- Backlink Creation: Backlinks were created by reaching out to local businesses and asking them to link to the website. The backlinks were from relevant sites with authoritative domains, which is an essential factor that can affect SERP rankings.
The work done on the website returned positive results. The website’s SERP rankings significantly improved, and the website received more traffic. The website’s local SEO improved, and Google My Business (GMB) listing showed up in the top three results of local map packs. Organic traffic increased, and the business received more leads and inquiries.
- Conduct SEO audits to evaluate the current state of the website and identify areas for improvement.
- Keyword research is essential for improving SEO. Identify relevant, high-traffic, low-competition keywords that align with the business niche.
- Meta descriptions and title tags should be descriptive, include relevant keywords.
- Ensure that website content is optimized with relevant keywords to offer value to users avoiding keyword stuffing.
- Optimize website images by providing relevant alt tags for better accessibility of the site.
- Citations help improve local SEO. Create citations in local business directories and keep NAP data accurate and consistent.
- Get backlinks from authoritative domains and relevant sites to boost website authority.
Achieving high SERP rankings is crucial for small businesses like the dance company in McHenry, Illinois. By performing an SEO audit and following the steps outlined above, significant improvements were seen in the website’s organic traffic and local SEO. Keep in mind that SEO is an ongoing process, and regular optimization is required to maintain good rankings. Follow the key takeaways provided in this article, and you’ll be on your way to improving your website’s SEO and driving more organic traffic to your site.